Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sopes Rancheros Verdes

Ok, I'm procrastinating studying for final exams this weekend, so what better time to talk about the delicious breakfast we made this weekend?

I've been wanting to make Sopes ever since going to Red O (a Rick Bayless creation) in Los Angeles earlier this year. We had this tapa there of sopes covered in the most delicious short ribs I've ever had and I've been intriqued with the idea of Sopes as a base for other dishes.

Fast forward to last week. I was trying to think of a good breakfast to make on Saturday when I got a craving for Huevos Rancheros. All of a sudden it hit me - why not substitute the tortillas for some homemade sopes?

And that's exactly what I did.

Sopes are simple to make, although I need a lot of practice in terms of shape and frying method. But basically they are just masa harina (a sort of corn flour you can find in most grocery stores), water, butter, and a little flour, baking powder and salt. You pan fry them in vegetable oil so they are crispy on the outside but a moist, delicious corn cake on the inside. Then we topped them with refried black beans (homemade), fried eggs with a nice runny yoke and a salsa verde mixed with sour cream. The result was amazing. The thickness of the sope was the perfect compliment to gooeyness of the runny egg. I can't believe I've never seen the combination in a restaurant before. I think it's the mexican answer to eggs benedict.

No comments:

Post a Comment